The Lagos Media Marathon is conceived by Y&T Sports Management Limited in partnership with the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Lagos Chapter and it has the following objectives:
- To further etch the culture of marathons and road races in Lagos and Nigeria
- To put Lagos and Nigeria on the map as the first to organize a media road race in Africa and probably the world.
- To transform media practitioners into runners, thus encouraging them to write more about the benefits of races and influence the public
- To raise awareness about terminal diseases like Cancer and raise funds for the treatment of victims.
- To honour ethical journalists and award scholarship to children of late journalists
- Encourage more Nigerians to embrace walking, jogging, running and general exercise as a way of life.
- To ensure Nigerians enjoy benefits that come with marathons and road races, including boosting tourism and local economy, engaging the youth and providing employment, among other benefits.